ESSIR 2011 offered high-quality teaching in Computer Science disciplines related to Information Retrieval, at the Master level of University education. The summer primarily addressed the following IR fields:
- IR foundations and formal models
- Text processing, organization, and retrieval
- Graph models and methods in IR
- Multimedia IR
- Web Retrieval
- IR in Social Media
- Evaluation methodology and experimental design
- IR in the Cloud
- IR for structured data, semantic search
Prerequisites for participation
School participants were expected to have background knowledge in foundational Computer Science disciplines, at least at the Bachelor level in Informatics or related fields. Strongly recommended backgrounds included core courses in Linear Algebra, Stochastics and Theory of Probabilities, Graph Theory, Data Structures and Algorithms.
Upon successful participation in ESSIR lectures, all participants received the written "Acknowledgement of participation" and/or the "Transcript of records" in ECTS format (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System). Further information can be found in section Certification.
Co-located satellite events
- Symposium on Symposium on Future Directions in Information Access
- Symposium on Symposium on Bias and Diversity in IR